#Chessie #railroad #ushistory
The Rail, cover December 1935
The Chesapeake and Ohio Railway began using the slogan ‘Sleep like a kitten’ along with a mascot cat named Chessie. Here Chessie and her two kittens enjoy a sleep in the lower berth of a C&O sleeping car.
The outline of Chessie could be seen on modern railway equipment into the 1980s and 1990s … until the new merged corporate name of CSX was applied - as equipment was overhauled and repainted.
Promises had been made in 1980 that the beloved kitty would be never be replaced by the godless stock market symbol.
Alas … such is the pathology and institutional memory of the corporations of our age.
- amazingthingsisee reblogged this from djgagnon
- amazingthingsisee likes this
- ichococat likes this
- octoberfullness likes this
- evie likes this
- lifeafterfranklin likes this
- felis-silvestris reblogged this from herekittykittykitty
- felis-silvestris likes this
- timekiller-s likes this
- v4l3 likes this
- afinaldecontas reblogged this from cybergata
- alex76al reblogged this from cybergata
- alex76al likes this
- mistressofjesus reblogged this from herekittykittykitty
- fat-and-sassy likes this
- cybergata reblogged this from herekittykittykitty
- cybergata likes this
- priscygzz likes this
- herekittykittykitty reblogged this from djgagnon
- chillyfuckingchero reblogged this from djgagnon
- salado likes this
- feedergoldfish likes this
- djgagnon posted this